Log in

No account? Create an account


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
11:10 pm: All around: Pretty good

I’m writing this from safely in Mystic, CT. We have good friends here who are willing to not only share their home with us for a day, but they also let me hold their 11 day old baby, Alayna. She’s a very calm baby. Just sat in my arms and looked at me.

The Plan survived, at least in its broad outlines. On Sunday, Jen departed for Chicago to take her licensing exam. I attended parties thrown by the people with whom I climb and one get-together for the spouses of the residency class. We figured it was as good a time as any, since all the residents were off taking their exams.

Monday was truly savage. Packed and loaded the car until about 11:30, at which point I came to work for my nominal last day. All went well. I stuck to the script, ate the pizza, and turned in the keys. Around 2:30, I busted back home to continue packing. Was not done loading the car by 3:30, so I piled stuff into the garage and went to closing, hoping to be able to slide back by the house without too much shame after the fact. My closing agent was an hour late, so it was about 5:45 by the time I got out of there with the check in hand. I flew back to the house, only to encounter the buyer. It was a little embarrassing, but she seemed to understand, particularly my desire to load the plants and the cats as late in the process as possible.

Then, off to the bank to deposit the funds from the house sale and wire them to Providence. There was some runaround WTR how long it takes wire transfers to arrive and be available (7 days, no guarentees, they said). At several points I offered to take the funds in cash, gold bullion, or other negotiable currency and drive it across the country. The tellers kept assuring me that that was a terrible idea (duh). I then asked what product I could buy that would be better, for the transfer of funds between banks. “Well sir, we’re not really sure…” I ended up using the wire transfer and it worked out fine. I kept the bank employees at the branch until 7:30, half an hour past closing.

I finally got on the road around 8pm. The cats really dislike the carriers and being in the car. (mew? mew. mew? mew. Mrooooowwwwww. mew?) The plan to pick up a car towing trailer fell by the wayside when U-Haul closed at 5pm. Got to chicago at around 2AM, hauled the cats up to the hotel room (mew? mew. mew? mew.)

Tuesday, we set out at about noon (central time) and got to Danville PA around 2am Eastern time. Along the way, we found a U-Haul, got a car hitch, hitched the toyota behind the jeep and reduced our speed to about 65MPH for the remainder of the story.

Today, we set out around noon, and got to Mystic around 6pm.

Originally published at chris.dwan.org. You can comment here or there.

Originally published at chris.dwan.org. You can comment here or there.

Powered by LiveJournal.com